My gramma’s a stud…. and our craft day together was a huge success.
We refashioned an old dress shirt from Faj into a super easy, super cute skirt!
Now I wish I could amaze you at my own creativity and talent in putting this together, but it was truly half pinterest and half grandma. I just dictated, modeled, and ate cherries.
But this is what we did:
- Cut off collar
- Cut off sleeves. (If you start attacking the stitching right at the arm pit you will be able to rip it off smoothly)
- Cut down sides of shirt (leave as much material as you can, it’ll be pretty snug fitting)
- Sew together side seams, again giving your hips some room
- I wanted an elastic band for the top (because zippers are less forgiving, less comfy, and less easy), and I would recommend using elastic that is thick-ish (mine was about an inch and a half). Fold down the top of the skirt to form a pouch for the elastic and sew it both at the base and as close to the top as you can so it will lay flat. Insert elastic from the middle (safety pins help push it through).
- After elastic is in place you’ll get a cute little ruffle. Yay.
- Sew down the front middle until the bottom button to help it lay flat
- At this point you can make it whatever length you want. I wanted it high waisted so pinned it about two inches up from my knees. Just sew that bottom hem and you’re donezo!
It really didn’t take us very long and was quite simple! (but again, all credit goes to gram and her studliness).
cheers to raiding faj’s closet!